Being poor college students living in a mobile home, we don't have a lot to spend on the heat bill, so we don't have a lot to spend on heat saving.
We decided to give wrapping the windows a go this year, though we couldn't bring ourselves to buy the expensive kits, and even just plastic that is big enough for our windows is really expensive. So we decided to use emergency blankets. They're cheap, designed to keep heat in, and easy to cut.
Here's the window in the hall. This is the only one we've wrapped so far, just to see how it worked out.
These also still let light in during the day. You still get the "trashy mobile home" look, but if they can keep heat in, I'll go with it. Though, their ability to keep heat in is still yet to be proven.
Here it is showing you can still see outside.

The other thing losing our heat is the doors. They're all built really high off the floor. The front door is especially bad in this area. We'd bought one draft snake from Walmart ages ago, so I used that one on the front door. I didn't want to spend more money on these, so I made one from left over quillow material.
Here's the cats' room.
They don't spend a lot of time in there, and the window is always cracked because, well, cats stink. Their door lets in a lot of cold. So I made this draft snake especially for their door so that it can be closed without having to move it. I hate that about the store bought ones. They don't seem to fit very well.
We bought some rice in a case lot sale forever ago that we thought was white rice (because we figure if there's an apocalypse, we'll be saved by bags of rice, or something), but it turned out to be some kind of nasty flavory rice. So I used that in these draft snakes. That works better than store bought draft snakes anyway. Those just have sparse amounts of those plastic bead things in them.
So this is really just a wordy way of saying I'M COLD and I'm trying to do something about it. Short of insulating every single outer wall on this junk heap, there's not much more I can do. Except win the lottery and move somewhere else.
4 comments:
Way to be self-suffient & make things cheaper! I hope it helps with the heat bill!
I hope you keep warm this winter. Maybe I'll knit you a scarf for xmas.
I saw on t.v. that bubble wrap is also good on the windows... but I don't know how much that costs. Good luck with your efforts, and yes that is a cute snake at the door.
so, how is the keeping heat in going? :)
Post a Comment