Sunday

She's as clumsy as she is stupid.

Had a grease accident today at work. I was cleaning the fryer out, about 6:00, getting ready to close at 7. Part of the fryer has a ledge you have to scrape with a putty knife. Well, as I was pushing down, scraping the crud off, I got too close to the edge of it and effectively dipped my hand into the hot grease. I gasped, dropped the knife on the ground, and stood there for a good second or two before I realized I'd burned myself good, then hurried and shoved my hand under cold water.

The grease splattered and got me clear up my arm and to where my shirt sleeve stopped. Ouch.

It didn't hurt very bad at first, so I just packed some ice on it and looked around for some burn cream. A couple men came in for some burgers, which required holding my arm over the hot grill. That made the pain worse, so once I gave out the food, I called my manager Kathy. She said she'd come close for me.

Right before she arrived at 6:30 the pain got really bad. Keeping it in cold water hurt really bad, but so did NOT keeping it in cold water. Kathy hurried and shut down the shop and drove me to the specialty hospital. I had a bucket of ice water with me, but it was REALLY starting to hurt. Good thing the specialty hospital is all the way across town, stupidly.

Got there, did some paperwork, had some burn pads applied that made it feel burny, but better. Thank heavens for workman's comp! They put a "hep cap" I think they called it in my left arm and injected me with some high grade motrin and some kind of narcotic that made me feel dizzy and sleepy. The doctor came and checked it for 3rd degree burns, but I still have feeling, so he guessed it was 2nd degree. No blistering at that point, but we'll see.

The nurse gooped it down real good and wrapped it up. They sent me home with a few vicodin and a prescription for tomorrow. I have to go back on Tuesday to have the bandages changed and see what it looks like at that point. Typing this is really hard and I'm feeling nauseous from the drugs, so I'll leave it at that for now. The pain is better, not gone, but so much better than it was. Just going to take it easy the next few days and not make any money since I can't work until I heal.


Owwies on my arms











All wrapped up like a mummy










Me feeling really yucky

5 comments:

Barb said...

Holy crap! That is so sad & makes me hurt just thinking about it. Good thing they gave you drugs! Poor niecy...

Troy said...

Have Jeff get another Elder over there and give you a blessing! (call grandpa Farmer!) Burns are NO fun! Especially those kind of burns!

Poor kid!

Elicia said...

ah man! i'm so sorry!! i've been burned by oil before, but not as bad as that!! take the time to heal! love you!

Troy said...

So, how are you feeling? Any better?

Are you on drugs?!?!?!?

;)

CAF said...

that sux, d, i'm sorry. burns hurt like a mother. call me if you need anything, k? srsly