Monday

Little Update

When I was at the hospital they told me to take a Vicodin every 6 hours (1 or 2, if I needed more or less). So I had one at 1 am last night before going to sleep, and my next dose was supposed to be 6 or 7. I woke up at 6, totally awake, and feeling great. Went back to sleep without having any more.

Jeff got me up at 9 because I had another doctor appointment (totally unrelated) and I still felt fine. We went to that appointment and then went to the pharmacy for the rest of my Vicodin prescription. I took another one at about 1 pm today, just to be sure the pain wouldn't start up again and I'd have to wait around for relief.

The Vicodin makes me really dizzy at first, then very, very tired. I was asleep on and off all day long, about an hour and a half at a time, then awake for a bit. I also get really itchy on the stuff. I'm wondering if that's an allergic reaction, or just in my head. At about 9 pm I woke up finally and started feeling really sick. It seems like when it starts to wear off a bit, I get a really upset stomach. So for about 2 hours I have to just lay there not moving so I don't vomit.

Jeff and I think next time I take a dose, I'll cut the pill in half and see how that does. I obviously don't need a full dose every 6 hours so perhaps half a pill every 8 or more will do the trick without the spins.

Tomorrow I go back to the hospital to have this bandage off and reevaluate my arm. Thank heaven, it itches so bad! Then I can get a new bandage and spend more time resting up.

So the worst part of this is actually the Vicodin, not the burn itself. I can't do much with my hand, but that's okay. Thanks for checking to see how I'm doing guys!

3 comments:

Troy said...

Drugs always make me itch a bit. Completely normal. You do have feeling in that arm though right?! It's a good thing if you can feel your arm and it doesn't hurt much. :) Not a good thing if you just can't feel anything!

Take the least amount of pain killers that you can. No sense taking medication, especially pain killers if you don't need to.

Loves!

Elicia said...

I hope you get better real soon! i still can't imagine not being able to use my whole arm for work and such! they are so important!

CAF said...

I didn't like the heavy-duty pain meds (Percocet) they gave me when I had my knee surgery. I quit taking them after 3 days because I hated being asleep almost constantly, and a zombie when I was "awake" -- the ibuprofen did just as good a job, it seemed.