Saturday

Grammar Lesson Saturday

The word "of" does not ever follow "would", "could" or "should".

What you are actually hearing is "should've", or conversely, "would've", or "could've".

Sometimes, you may even hear "I'd've". This is "I would have", or "I'd have". It is NOT "I would of" or even "I'd of".

It is an inaccuracy of the English speakers (American ones, anyway) to slide all of the sounds together so that you hear "eye-d-of".

The "'ve" noise is what makes you think it's "of". It's really not, though. I promise.

4 comments:

Elicia said...

oh jeeze! and i have been saying it wrong for ever! :) it's crazy how we will manipulate our words and sounds!

robin said...

I'm like bothered more - like - when people say, like, you know "like" alot! :)

D'N'J said...

i'm guilty of that one when i'm pausing to think of a description or something! :)

Barb said...

Ummm.....that is my pet peeve. Ummm in between every word. And like, that's bad too.