A few years back Barb recommended David Pelzer to me, and I gobbled down his first two books, A Child Called "It", and The Lost Boy. I picked up the third book, A Man Named Dave at the DI a while back but never finished it. It caught my eye and I read it all in one day.

It's amazing what this man had to go through as a child. His mother severely abused him for years, burning him on stoves, throwing him down stairs, making him swallow ammonia, even stabbing him once. I can't believe how long it went on before someone called the authorities. I have heard stories that some people get trigger happy and call CPS on people who don't really deserve it, but that's beside the point. When a child shows up to school with third degree burns all over their bodies, you really should do something.
This particular book was about after he was moved from his mother's house and how he worked to find his place in the world. I've been feeling really down about our situation, but this book helped me to see that there are worse things in the world, and that if someone who suffered so much tribulation can get up and make his life better, than certainly I can too. It was also slightly depressing because I am someone who likes to see instant results, so knowing that you have to make the tough decisions now to have a better life later really stinks for me :)
I especially have my parents to be thankful for. They did a really great job with us as kids. We got along really well and got through life knowing that God loves us.
Definitely recommend to everyone. It has a little strong language, but he notes that he wrote it in the language that was used in that part of his life.
6 comments:
Reading is good. Glad you liked the book. Can you read the BOM in a day? :)
Awwwww! Thanks Sweetie! Love you too!
Love you :) Just do what you know is right.
Love love love Dave Pelzar! Glad you liked his books too. It really does put things in perspective & also makes me want to be more aware of people around me - you never know what is going on in someones life.
My slippery slope is self pity. I need to think more of what good in life and develop a more positive attitude. I waste my time wishing I was having a pity party.
I have seen this same quote twice this week from different sources. It has stuck in my head.....
"Today is your day of resolution. Promise yourself to make something good of the precious life that God has given you."
I left out the word "is". More of what is good in life
Post a Comment