Tuesday

PETA = Crazy

PETA is making me nuts. I just learned that they sent a request to Ben & Jerry's to get them to put breast milk in the ice cream instead of cow's milk.

In response to our letter, Ben and Jerry's issued the following statement: "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child." Hey, guys, that's our point: Cow's milk is for baby cows.


If any food companies were to switch to using human milk over cow's, I'd stop buying them. Breast milk has already done any good it will do for an adult, to continue to drink it wouldn't be beneficial. And human milk is for baby humans, just as cow milk is for baby cows.

But it's not all about us humans. Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Because, like all mammals, cows only give milk during or after pregnancy, in order for humans to constantly milk them, they are forcefully impregnated every nine months. Many live in filthy conditions and are forced to give 10 times more milk than they would naturally. It's truly an awful life.


So, what then? Get human women pregnant and force them to give up their milk for your products? Everyone I've seen on blogs talks about only having enough for their baby, how do you expect to get enough milk for the other consumers? That really runs into a big red area for me, to save the animals you're wiling to sacrifice not only mothers but their babies as well.

They talked about children (not newborns/infants) who drink a lot of milk having diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and allergies. Well, as I'm sure my parents will attest, my siblings and I drank a LOT of milk as kids and I don't have any allergies, I'm not obese. . . Jeff notes that the ice cream is what made those kids obese. :)

A lot of people say it was just a stunt to get people to think about cows being "harvested" for milk. . . well, whether or not it was a joke, it still riles me.

That's all. Sorry, rant over. Remind me not to look at PETA again.

8 comments:

Troy said...

Ben and Jerry's = PETA. Two peas in the same pod. Both very liberal.

The difference here is that by doing what PETA wants, Ben and Jerry's will lose business. They will lose . . . GASP! . . . profits!!!!

Money talks.

Barb said...

Oh good old PETA. Hippies. I'm all for animals rights too - but to an extent. Ry & I drink so much milk it's ridiculous - we are definitely criminals here.

CAF said...

If anyone's a bleeding heart for animals, it's me -- but PETA always goes overboard (though I'm sure their letter was somewhat tongue-in-cheek). Perhaps they feel they have to be extreme in order to get any attention (they may be right).

Good post.

D'N'J said...

i feel animals should definitely be respected but simply not eating meat doesn't really solve the problem at hand. if you feel animals are treated inhumanely then focus on that and don't be so radical on all other fronts. after all, if you claim eating meat stops the living creatures from feeling pain, how can you prove the plants you eat like being chewed up?

MStevenson said...

Yuck.

robin said...

Reminder to Dianna:
Don't look at PETA again!

Love Mom

Bobbie said...

Ditto Dianna, don't look at PETA, anymore.

(Oh, I love it! Another soapbox girl.)

Amanda said...

The thing that gets me, is that, breast milk is not good for humans after a certain age, thus the reason infants are weened off of it. It contains a chemical that turns liquid into solid, basically, so that babies can jump-start their poop reflex.

PETA never ceases to amaze me in their stupidity.