Wednesday

Bed Frame of Doom

Jeff and I have been sleeping on our mattress on the floor since we got married. We decided a while back to build a little box for it to sit on so that it was up off the floor, so we were less tempted to flop down on it, because it has become so creaky as a result.

Well we finally bought the wood this week and got started on it.


Here are the pieces we bought


Jeff got a new sander


And a new drill/power screwdriver


First we sanded them as smooth as we could


We got the frame done, and then our old cordless drill gave out. So we went to bed


Continuing today. Jeff's working without shoes!


Jeff made me do all the hand work, even though the drill is sitting right there


Taking a break for lunch. I love corndogs!


All finished. At this point we realized it wasn't sturdy enough to push down the hall and too heavy for us to lift. So we took it apart and reassembled it in our room


All together in our room


We bought a skirt to hide the box and made the bed all up. It ended up with a lip at the foot which we didn't intend to have, but I really like it anyway.


All in all, the wood we bought was really heavy duty but will be really durable. We'll have to take it apart if we move, but that's not a big deal. And I really like how high up it puts our bed. Now we just have to buy a new box spring to go under the mattress, because it's the squeaky part of our bed.

P.S. for you Carrie types, these do embiggen.

7 comments:

Troy said...

You need to add a kitty door! :)

CAF said...

I like the embiggen.

Good job you guys, I'm impressed! DYI rox!

Elicia said...

that's sweet! good job!

Barb said...

You guys are so handy! I'm impressed. Hope you got my email about Sadie's baby blessing this Sunday...not sure if it was an old address. Love!

Troy said...

How'd you get all that wood home?

D'N'J said...

very carefully, with some in the trunk, the front seats up pretty far, and the longer pieces across the back onto the front headrest and just out the window.

MStevenson said...

Looks great. You guys are so ambitious. Do you guys share blankets or do you have separate ones? It looks like you have separate ones.