
If Jeff and I come over and we stink, please, be polite and ignore it. We can't wash our stuff.
Apparently our pipes have frozen. They did warn us about that happening. Interesting to me because that's not something you usually worry about in normal places, but I guess it's a special consideration if you live in a mobile home. Anyway, all the other faucets and such have been working fine, so we assumed all the pipes were great, until I tried to do laundry last weekend, and the washer won't start.
Good thing I did a large load before that! I ended up putting a few of the dirty things in a hot bath to soak, and stomped on them for a minute, rinsed, repeated. I didn't have time to go out to the laundry-mat, so I just cleaned a few dirty things. I was just kidding about us stinking, though. We don't get all that dirty. Just our jeans, really.
Another interesting thing about living here are the reminders that you're being supported by just a few cinderblocks under the house. Anything large rolls by and the house shakes. The washing machine does the same thing, the first time we used it here we thought there was an earthquake. Last week they had a big tractor/backhoe thing up the street demolishing a mobile house and it was shaking ours really bad.
Jeff and I are scheduling our trip to Seattle for spring break (forgot that he actually has to go to class this semester) which is March 10 - 14. I'm really excited! I like to get away now and then. Now I just need to figure out where to dump my cats for the week. :) We have to drive up to Idaho Falls to get out there, apparently neither Alaska or Horizon fly into SLC. Which adds 2 1/2 hours to the transit, unfortunately, but I guess as long as I'm not paying for the flight, it's okay.
We're going to go to the pet adoptions today. I just like to see all the cute little kitties and doggies, and sometimes ferrets. Good thing we already have two or I might get another.
4 comments:
That stinks. Call the landlord and complain! They have ways of keeping the pipes warm with a wire, you can buy at any home depot. They need to get you one.
Plus if you guys are still only heating the bedroom that wont help keep the pipes from freezing. You are above ground you know :)
In our old ward we had a family that had never lived where it froze before. They went on a trip in the wintertime and turned off the heat. Big mistake as the pipes not only froze but burst and flooded the house. Not fun to come home to.
Two cats!? Come on - that won't stop you from getting another if you fall in love with it's cute whiskery face...=) j/k I agree with Troy - your landlord needs to step up and take care of the pipes. That's what you pay him for!
We had a wire thingy that warmed our washing machine pipes on our back porch that has no heat and we forgot to plug it back up for winter and our washer wouldn't work either. (I could hear it make a noise when I turned it on, but no water...) Gary plugged it back in and I waited for a few hours for the pipes to defrost. When it defrosted we found out that the pipe had burst and hot water was shooting all over our back porch. If I had been alone I would never have known what to do. Gary shut off the water and within a few days he had the washing machine moved into the main part of the house. I guess what I am saying is to make sure you will be home the entire time you are waiting for your pipes to defrost or you might end up with a flood. Good luck!
did you go to seattle to wash clothes?? sorry all those unfun things are happening...
Post a Comment