Wednesday

"Opposelerance" or What I've Learned From Sociology

Two of the three classes Jeff is taking this semester are Sociology courses, and can be quite interesting.

Today's readings inspired me to create a new word : "Opposelerance" (one of his books has a habit of creating words for situations, such as "adultescence").

The word plays off the belief Jeff and I have that there will be issues that we don't agree on (with others, mostly) and they aren't going to convince us, and we aren't going to change their minds. We would rather agree to disagree. It isn't meant to negate any opinions, just allows for civil speech.

Basically the word means this - I have every right to not agree with something, but I am willing to tolerate those who do certain things that I don't agree with. Generally, this rule works.

For example, I have really strong anti-homosexuality beliefs (which actually come from both scientific feeling as well as moral feeling), but I have had friends who practice it, and I'm willing to tolerate it. I may not like it, or agree with it.

Mostly this came from feeling so sick of having to be "PC" all the time. All that really means is to not go around flinging insulting names at anyone you don't agree with, just because you have nothing valid to say. When did "being PC" come to mean "conform to all things and become spineless and without beliefs"?

We actually had a much more in-depth conversation about it; we used the ideas behind X-Men as a contrasting point. It's pretty interesting stuff. I just can't see my way through the scientific evidence and all of the religious reasons to where homosexuality is okay. But that's just my little opinion.

I just hope that, with all the stuff I'm sure will be crammed down our eventual child(ren)s throats, that we can still teach them to "love the person, hate the sin".

6 comments:

Barb said...

Hm. I like it. I agree - being PC should not mean being okay with everything. We should still have spines. Amen. Sociology sounds interesting!

robin said...

Home schooling . . .

Troy said...

Charity. As in Love.

I think if we have true charity we can get along with those we don't agree with. It's to love and serve those who do or believe things we don't agree with. We love them anyway in direct opposition to the things we find troubling.

Elicia said...

i always hope that when one of my friends do something stupid, they will realize it and say 'thanks licia! you are a really good friend, even when i made that stupid choice!!' hasn't happened yet, but i'm still hopeful! ;)

I know a few people that are homosexual, and i tell them, i don't agree with it, but i will not hold it against you. it'll be your actions towards others and myself that will shape and mold my opinion of you. i think people just like to pick and choose out of the bible what is right and wrong. like this one girl i drove home once, she said that god made homosexuals to control the population. that doesn't make sense, because how can you reproduce when you are homosexual? you got me!

D'N'J said...

homosexuality to control the population makes sense to me! removing themselves from the gene pool.

CAF said...

Hahahahhahahahaha --- whewf! This makes my day.