Tuesday

School in a Horrible Nutshell

Last summer I forgot to apply for financial aid until the deadline had already passed. So I took a low level chemistry class and paid for it out of pocket during Fall 2007.

The FAFSA went through halfway through the Fall 2007 semester and I was awarded more than I needed for Spring 2008 semester. I was only able to take one class because of prereq's and because I haven't taken a math placement test, and math is the next big thing you need to get into any biology classes.

So I signed up for the Civ class and had it paid with the loans I had received.

Halfway into the Spring 2008 semester I got a letter from UHEAA (Utah loan dealie) and they said that they had cancelled my loans at the school's request. I assumed that was because they usually do cancel anything that I don't use, and online it said I was still paid. They didn't cancel my class or lock me out of it, and they didn't tell me that I now had a balance.

Today I went online to check my final grades and found that they've placed a hold on my account and now I owe them the money for the class I took. Now really, don't you think they should have let me know, or like locked me out of the class or something? I don't have the $400 for the class offhand, and if I don't pay them they're just going to act like I didn't take the class, which means wasted effort and time on my part.

Not only that, but now I'm probably going to have to do a bunch of calling and paperwork which means time and that means my holds might stop me from getting the financial aid in time THIS year, which means I'm stuck again until Fall of 2010. At this rate, I'll graduate when I'm 40.

On Jeff's side, he still hasn't raised his GPA enough to enter his programs. I guess that means extra hard study this summer and hopefully some math requirements filled. I hate all the nagging I have to do about this and I'm already completely sick of school. As if bleeding me dry around every turn for any little thing I might need isn't enough.

3 comments:

CAF said...

Ugg. That is a mess. I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I don't.

Barb said...

Yikes...all that red tape. Good luck. Is there any way to get the loan money they originally offered?

Troy said...

Isn't life grand? ;)