Saturday

Speaking in Church

Seems like I've done a lot of this lately :)

Following the Example of Jesus Christ

There are many things that Jesus did in His life on Earth that we can learn from -

•He served others
•He was humble
•He spoke with our Heavenly Father frequently
•He administered to the sick
•He resisted temptations

These are all important things for us to learn to do in our own lives. However, I’ve picked just my favorite three things to learn from Jesus' ministry to speak about today.

1. He loved and blessed the little children.

Elder Jay E. Jensen of the Seventy said,
"Sculptors and artists have attempted to capture in their work the beauty, purity, innocence and loveliness of little children. Parents photograph their children from birth and frame the precious pictures and display them in their homes. In some of the Church's films and videos, the scriptwriters, camera operators, producers, and directors have succeeded in capturing… the deepest of human emotions with portrayals of children. Of the well-known Christmas film Mr. Kreuger's Christmas, it was reported to me that in filming the scene with Jimmy Stewart talking to the newborn Jesus, all the equipment was to be operating perfectly because, he said, "I have only one of these in me," meaning that the deep and tender feelings associated with his expressions of love for Jesus could not be repeated. It was too tender and heart wrenching. What do all these scenes have in common? They show how priceless our children are. Little children are so lovely, innocent, teachable, honest, cheerful, submissive, optimistic, and pure and have a host of other attributes. They are everything Jesus held them up to be."

In Matthew chapter 9 verses 13 to 15, we find
"Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. And he laid his hands on them."

The new generations of the world are under attack. It is our responsibility to love and try to bless our children as Jesus did. We must help them to grow in the gospel, to learn to make righteous choices, to yearn to be baptized one day.

Be sure to pray for your children and the children of others. Pray for wayward children to find their way home to Heavenly Father. Help your own children to learn to honor their father and mother, as they must learn to honor their Savior and Heavenly Father.

2. Jesus followed God’s will for Him, even when He didn’t want to.

In Luke chapter 22, verse 42 we read the notable line,
“Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.”

Children singing in primary will hear this refrain “I will go, I will do the things the Lord commands”. We are taught every week in church that we should follow the Lord’s commandments and do that which He asks of us, even when the road seems hard or it is a task we do not wish to do. Thus, it was very important in Jesus’ life that He set the example for us. Jesus did as the Lord asked Him. Even though He was a perfect being, it was not always pleasant for Him to follow the commandments of God.

In the verse following Jesus asking Father in Heaven to allow this trial to pass from him, we can read
“And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.”

Heavenly Father recognizes when we are willing to follow his directions. He will bless us with the ability to carry out our duties.

Elder Marion G. Romney said,
“During my early teens a small book titled “What Would Jesus Do?” came into my hands… The question posed epitomized the desire I had had from my childhood. Countless times as I have faced challenges and vexing decision I have asked myself, ‘What would Jesus do?’… As I pondered that question, I turned to the scriptures in search of the answer: Jesus would always do the will of His Father. This He Himself repeatedly declared… ‘I do nothing of myself, but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.’ (John 8:28 & 29) Having learned that Jesus would always do the will of His Father, my next objective was to find out what Jesus would do to ascertain the will of His Father. Searching the New Testament, I discovered that one thing he did was to thoroughly familiarize himself with what his father had declared his will to be, as recorded in the Old Testament.”

We should make sure to familiarize ourselves with Heavenly Father’s commandments through prayer and scripture study and be prepared to go and do.

3. Jesus forgave others.


My favorite example of Jesus forgiving is found in John, chapter 8. Scribes and Pharisees brought before Jesus a woman who was said to have committed adultery. Jesus said, “he who is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her”. The men all left, knowing they were not without sin. Jesus showed the woman that no one accused her, and said, “neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more. “
Jesus set the perfect example of forgiveness for us. He showed how we should condemn the act of sin, but to strive to forgive those who do wrong against us.

Elder James E Faust said,
“Most of us need time to work through pain and loss. We can find all manner of reasons for postponing forgiveness. One of these reasons is waiting for the wrongdoers to repent before we forgive them. Yet such a delay causes us to forfeit the peace and happiness that could be ours. The folly of rehashing long-past hurts does not bring happiness.

Some hold grudges for a lifetime, unaware that courageously forgiving those who have wronged us is wholesome and therapeutic.”

Elder Faust also notes,
“Of course, society needs to be protected from hardened criminals, because mercy cannot rob justice. Bishop Williams addressed this concept so well when he said, “Forgiveness is a source of power. But it does not relieve us of consequences.”

This ties in well with remembering to love our enemies, to hate the sin and love the sinner.

Heavenly Father also stands ready to offer His forgiveness unto us. We should remember to use the atoning sacrifice Jesus Christ performed for us, and ask for that forgiveness from our Father in Heaven.

In closing, here are some lines from one of my favorite children’s hymns. I try to remember these words when I feel frustrated or burdened down by the world.

I’m trying to be like Jesus; I’m following in his ways.
I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,
Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.

2 comments:

Troy said...

OK - so is this Dianna's or Jeff's talk? :)

It's good either way!

Grandma Bobbie said...

Wonderful talk D !!!! I am very proud of you !!!!